Wheels of Words


Usually when I sit down to create a digital design I already have a pretty clear idea in mind. The thing that is most important for me whether I’m designing an icon or a blog template is coherence. I like it when the template reflects a certain character. That’s also why I am at times obsessed with details like which font I choose. Consequently, I tend to be disappointed with the limited choice of script styles in Windows!

Since I’m neither a design genie nor do I have a lot of time, I usually look for quick solutions. For my latest venture, a blog header, I wanted a font with cursive elements with roughened edges which were likened to an uneven ink script. So I ventured forth into the universe of the Internet to get my dream font. Thank god for the bookmarking function, because my list on design pages quickly yielded a pretty nifty page I had stumbled upon on one of my longer online odysseys: www.1001freefonts.com.

I could practically hear a digital Ali chanting ‘Open Sesame!’ clicked on the link and started to browse through the different fonts on display. After a few minutes of digging, I found the following jewels. 








Some fonts which didn’t necessarily fit my idea were just too cool. I had to try them out. I loved playing with the custom preview to see what my slogan would look like before downloading the font.



 Custom Preview: 'Open Sesame!'


In the end, I settled for Bleeding Cowboys for my current project, but I already have five other ideas cartwheeling through my mind. Nevertheless, at least my nit-picking font imps have been appeased for now…and that’s a fact I am very font of!

If you know of any other handy font sites, have a design imp problem of a different nature or you would simply like to let us know your opinion – leave a comment! 

- Vivienne

Categories:

Leave a Reply